Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey time...!

Lights aren’t on but somebody’s home… It was brought to my attention the other day that I have been a bit behind in correspondence. So tonight after catching a Grey’s Anatomy rerun (yes, they do have TVs in Africa), my plan was to sit down and catch up on unanswered messages. Two thoughts in and suddenly, my laptop screen became the only source of light in the house. I actually had to carry my laptop around the house so I could locate my cell phone – which typically serves as my flashlight during electrical outages (though attempting to locate eyeglasses in the dark with a mere cell phone light is no simple task…).

So tomorrow is Thanksgiving! How does one celebrate Thanksgiving in Maputo, Mozambique, you ask? Well to begin, I discovered butternut squash ravioli at the deli earlier in the week (tastier then you may think… though not quite up to pumpkin pie standards) and am presently enjoying the delicacy - albeit lukewarm and in the dark. Perhaps it’s to my benefit that I can’t see what I’m eating. Tomorrow though I’ll be enjoying the fact that I’ll be one of the few people in town on holiday, going horseback riding with a friend and her family, and ending the night with a motley crew of Americans. When it comes to holiday celebrations far from home, we're not too picky, any American is considered family on Thanksgiving.


Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

butternut ravioli sounds pretty good to me!! can't wait to see you during xmas - I'm counting down the days until I'm on break, as I'm sure you're doing a similar count down. Hope the horseback riding was a good time!