Thursday, January 29, 2009

January 27, 2009

My dear friend (my "old shoes") who days ago peaced out of town recently sent me a text message willing me to "enjoy all the little things..."

My response...

I'm really enjoying all the little skeeter bites on my legs.  I think I could connect the dots with them.  Saturday night I went to the bar at the train station with my new flatmates, wore a skirt, and woke the next morning with pink polka-dotted legs.  Hot, I know.  I'm beginning to think that even the male mosquito population finds me attractive.

But in way of appreciating Mozambique for its little things... Last night (Sunday) wound up being a random but an oh-so-good random night.  I went for a run and returned sweaty, many shades of pink, and in need of a couple of showers... and sure enough we had a visitor at the place, a new acquaintance, for whom my disheveled look would forever be my lasting impression.  Good thing he had an alcoholic beverage in hand (beer goggles, they do serve a purpose).  By the night's end, we were hanging out at the neighbors - true Mozambicans... Drinking the local brew (some sort of marula moonshine), girls downing shots of whiskey, guys doing the same with 'firewater' (apparently this is typical, some sort of 'cultural' thing)... all of us just sitting in a big circle listening to African blues, jams, vibes... eating, drinking, dancing, and truly getting merrier by the minute.  It truly was just a fun, fun night.  One of those, I can't believe I'm here, a part of this... Surrounded by people (and a language) I barely knew when the night began, a night that began with our visitor hearing the merriment from our 3rd floor flat, shouting down asking if we could join, and hours later leaving with an invitation to return for their next party - February 28th (a monthly festivity, apparently).  So I'm appreciating Mozambicans for always keeping in mind the importance and know-how of having a good time. They may be considered lazy but not when it comes to partying.  :)

Other little Moz-isms... Was eating at a relatively nice eatery this evening with my colleagues when the place went black.... moments later when electricity had returned, ABBA could be heard playing, followed by a Mariah Carey Christmas tune... 

No comments: