Thursday, January 29, 2009

January 9, 2009

Couple days later... Hostel near Johannesburg, South Africa airport... flew in 12 hours ago

It is now 4am... I hear crickets.  My laptop charger and its adapter are being propped up with the support of a wastebasket into the room's lone outlet.  Listening to O.A.R.'s "Shattered."  I hadn't heard the band on the radio for ages... and then a friend informed me it'd been playing since this summer.  Oh... Presently trying to glean some wireless from the nearby airport.  Having sporadic luck.

It's 9pm back in the States so instead of becoming more alert, I should be dozing off.  However, I have this gnawing hunger ache that's keeping me up.  Plus, I was so excited for fresh air that I forgot that in opening up the windows I was inviting the mosquitoes in for a feast.  And the hostel doesn't serve breakfast until 7am.  So my mind keeps drifting back to my favorite hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant in Maputo.  Despite its derelict appearance, it has the best chai tasted outside of India.  The walls are bare save for a curious Arabic wall hanging.  Tables and chairs are placed haphazardly about the room.  A tiny Bollywood-tuned-in T.V. sits on the corner counter.  The mostly male clientele lounge around as if everyday is Sunday.  I like this place and what I wouldn't give for a cup of its chai right now.  Warm, sweet, aromatic goodness.

In closing, from an O.A.R. song not played on FM wavelengths...

"Many days from now I'm sure
I'll be back among your faces
And with you I won't pretend
No, not at all..."

No comments: